Serving Northeast Ohio's Museums & Attractions

Historical Society of Old Northfield

Strongsville Historical Society


9390 Olde Eight Road
Northfield Center, OH 44067


hson.info


May - Sept. the second and fourth Sundays, 2 - 4 pm

Free and open to the public


The Historical Society of Old Northfield was founded in 1957.  Housed in a frame building known as the Palmer House, the Society operates the house as a museum in one of the few remaining vertical-beam construction homes in Ohio.  The home was built by Hezekiah Hayden Palmer who settled at Northfield, Ohio, in 1832. Hezekiah and Abilgail Taylor Palmer built the first house in Northfield Center, a round log cabin. The log cabin was replaced by this framed house in about 1844. Hezekiah sold the land on which the house was located to William, his son. It remained in the Palmer family until William's daughter, Helen Palmer, sold it to Lew and Sara Dalrymple in 1903.  In 1915 it was sold to the school district which still holds title to it. The house was moved to its present location to make way for a new grade school being built. The north wing, a kitchen, was removed.  Since 1965 the Board of Education has permitted the Historical Society of Old Northfield to house its museum there.


Northfield Center, Northfield Village, Sagamore Hills and Macedonia were all once part of the original Northfield Township. The Palmer House and Museum represents the history of all of the Nordonia Hill’s communities.  Collections of historical items and photographs from the area from the past 150 years can be found here.